Sunday, May 20, 2007

I need some health advice

I'm not sure how many people are actually reading my blog yet, but if you are reading here, I need some advice.

A little background. I am generally a healthy person. I've spent the last year and a half trying to eat healthier, lost a goodly amount of weight, I drink a lot of water, I definitely don't exercise like I should, but I am what I call moderately active. (I have a 1 1/2 year old.. need I say more?) I rarely get sick, except I do get migraines, but I wouldn't call that unhealthy -- those started after my pregnancy with my son and have been fairly regular since, so I'm assuming they have something to do with hormone levels or something of the sort.

Now, all of the sudden, out of the blue it seems -- in the past 5 months, I have been hit with illness. I have had intestinal flu 3 times since Christmas -- horrible vomiting and diarrhea, the kind that really flattens you on your back and makes you feel as if you are at death's door for a few days, and then you make your weak and shaky comeback and then after about a week and a half you start to join the land of the living again. And you can't even remember how badly you felt, and you don't really have to, because in another, oh, say 3 weeks or so, you're reminded because it strikes AGAIN. Then AGAIN. Then oh, surely the doggone flu must be gone far away never to return, and you are slammed with a cold that turns into the worst sinus infection of your life.. the kind that swells up half your face and you think this time you WILL die.

Something must be wrong.. 4 major illnesses in almost as many months.. What is going on? What can I do to boost my immune system? I did buy that DanActive yogurt today, so we'll see if that helps.. but does anyone else have any other ideas for me? I'm desperate and will take any and all advice!!

Thanks,
Cath

4 comments:

Karianne said...

This may sound really simple, but have you been changing your toothbrush? Your cycle of getting sick every 3 weeks made me think of it for some reason.

And then, my mom says that some years you can be healthy as a horse and then catch every little bug that comes your way.

My other thought is that since your son is in kindergarten he is regularly bringing in viruses that you may not have been exposed to in a while. Whenever we hire a new teacher at daycare, their first year is studded with illness until their systems adjust.

Hope that some of these help. Hopefully with summer, you may be on the mend!

Take it easy sweetie. It takes so long to get your feet back on the ground after being sick, especially after so long.

Catherine said...

Hey, Kari, thanks for leaving me one! Actually, yes to the toothbrush thing. And I talked to Carrie and since she changes hers like once a month I think I'm going to do that too!!! (I love to be obsessed about things! LOL)
Hmm to what your mom said. Maybe this is my year for that! (Ugh if it is, but it's looking that way)
Funny thing is, I posted on a board I belong to on January 1st to 2007 being a great year for us all, to feeling it would be, blah blah blah.. and it looks as if I cursed myself {not that I really believe that, but still...}.. One has to start to wonder..

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply ..
Love ya!
Me

Lisa said...

{{{Cath}}} I'm interested to hear how the changing of the toothbrush works out. Those are the kinds of things that I don't think about. I hope that nasty bug is gone forEVER and forEVER from your house!!! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you keep getting sick. It makes me really sad. :(

As you know, I had a year like that in my late teens. Actually 2. I caught every blasted virus that came along.

Someone told my mom to get me Echanacia. I know that is not spelled right. Anyway, it is an herb that helps boost the immune system. However you need to take it properly. Too much is bad for you, as with all medicines...

I think that the warmer months and fresh air will bring you relief.

I'm pulling for you!!

*HUGS*