Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Holidays overwhelm me...

What is it about getting ready for holidays that makes me want to go back to bed and hide under the covers? I mean... I love what leads UP to the holidays.... but today.. the day before the big day, all I've wanted to do is hide. This is decidedly a pattern for me, this is nothing new. If it weren't for my husband who comes in and saves the day (and I mean dusting, vacuuming, and putting away the laundry).. people would come to my house on Thanksgiving day and find me in my pajamas, my children still in their clothes from the day before, and breakfast dishes on the counter, nary a turkey in sight.

When I want to spend the moments of my life snuggling my babies on the couch sipping hot cocoa and watching Charlie Brown, I instead find myself yelling at them because their toy room isn't cleaned up the way it should be. Because all that matters is the company coming tomorrow and getting every inch of the house scrubbed... WHAT? Who have I become?? Sigh. I love the holidays. I do. I just wish I could learn how to enjoy them a little better. So that my loved ones could enjoy them along with me.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

i can relate...i think my son really did wear his clothes from the day before because i was so busy getting ready for all the company i neglected to get him his nice clothes and he dressed himself. i don't enjoy the holidays nearly enough

Karianne said...

did I write this? It just sounds so familiar!

Catherine said...

Thanks, girls... I almost deleted this several times after I posted it because I felt like I sounded like a ... well... a one of a kind.

Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone!!! Much love!! :)

Melissa said...

sounds VERY familiar to me too. I'm a work in progress in this area---I tend to be anal about the non-essential things, which DO have a place in it all, but I give it more importance than people sometimes.....you are SO not alone.

Anonymous said...

We all must be in the same boat cuz I was there, and feel myself going there again (about Christmas decs of all things!!)