Saturday, March 24, 2007

Weekend Woes

Well, it's the weekend. Whoo - freakin' hoo! We have big plans this weekend. One of my best friends from out of town is traveling here (2 1/2 hours away) to see me with her husband and two little boys. I can't wait to see her!!! We talk on the phone every single day but it's not enough, you know? It's not the same as if we were seeing each other, but at least we have the phone!

So anyways, we have been planning this for awhile. I haven't seen her or the boys since December, and it's now March. That's about average, what with the weather being iffy during the winter months. I went to bed last night (Friday) feeling happy and excited that I'd get to see her today and hug on her little ones.

Well... B and I woke up to bodily fluid in the baby's crib. The kind that comes with the stomach bug, and causes little ones to hurl mass quantities of milk. And Cheerios. And Animal Crackers. And I think I saw kitchen sink parts in there as well. Sigh. I spent the first few minutes bathing the baby, in full denial of her actually being sick, saying to myself, "Oh, she's fine. It must have been something she ate. I'm sure she's not actually sick or anything. They can still come and see us" and then B came in with his arms full of K's bedding and was like, "Oh man, she's sick! This is some serious amount of _____"[I'll spare you the gross-ness of that particular moment]
To which I looked at my white-as-a-sheet baby girl, who was shivering in the tub, and saw in my mind's eye the last of my hope for the plans I had for the day swirling down the drain with the rest of the bath water. Sigh again.

The day did not go as I had planned, but as I sat on the couch for the next several hours and held my sad, sick baby who wanted no one but me, and wanted to snuggle (who is usually Ms Independence) all the day long, I thought to myself that I'm so blessed to be able to have this little one, so very blessed to be called the Mama, and that this day, while it didn't turn out the way I had planned, wasn't so awful after all. [Although I will admit to feeling so terrible for her that she is sick!]

The best laid plans, and all of that. But we'll make more plans. And they may or may not work out. But these things I know: Our babies come first. And being the mom isn't always easy. And sometimes life stinketh. But in the end it's all good, because I'm blessed to have these precious ones to call my own. Thank you, Lord!

Good night!

1 comment:

Pretty Momma said...

You're right; sometimes life does stinketh!